I wrote last week that my Big Goal for this week was to take care of the three most noxious bugs I deal with and to, well, stay sane. Neither of these things happened! It was a very busy week — lots of support requests to answer, lots of day job work, lots of accumulated fatigue — and I mostly did my best to keep my head above water.
A lot of this work was organizational. I’m slowly dividing the frontend into two submodules —
subscriber_facing. Once I had a clear sense of which views & controllers belonged to which side, I was able to find an easy one to migrate first.
Instead, I chose a much easier target: the humble “unsubscription success” page. This is the page you see once you unsubscribe: it’s boring and transactional and easily rendered in plain HTML.
Choosing this as a beachead worked out quite well. I got to force myself to make a handful of important decisions while not having to worry too much about the actual content I was migrating over: the next page will force my hand a bit, and make me figure out how to handle bringing in the subscribe form, but it was nice to make some solid progress and build scaffolding.
This coming week, though — bug fixes. For real this time: I need to ameliorate some of the incoming customer service and bug fixes are the way to go. Honest! I’m building out a Things project and everything!
(Oh, also I landed a Business Insider interview! That was fun, and I am slowly learning how to talk about Buttondown without spending ten minutes ranting about RSS and various technical esoterica.)